There are no Federal Regulations with respect to importing a boat and you don’t need to apply for Import Approval on the boat, just for the trailer.
Please be aware that the maximum allowable width to register a trailer is 2500mm but most US boat trailers are 2550mm or wider which means the trailer will need to be narrowed in order for it to be registered. There are also regulations regarding braking systems and lighting for trailers so further modifications may also need to be made.
- Research, Research, Research
- Purchase your vessel in the US
- Complete and return Geezers paperwork and required documents
- Complete and submit the Vehicle Import Application for your trailer
- Leave the rest to us
- Allow approximately 6 to 8 weeks from the time the vessel arrives at our US depot until the time it has cleared customs in Brisbane.
- *We also have personnel in LA working for Geezers that can handle inspection, secure payment and collection of your boat with no hassles.
Shipping LA to Brisbane:
You will need to provide us with the dimensions of the boat and trailer for us to quote on shipping. We need the overall length, width and height of the boat from the tow hitch to the prop, from guard to guard or wheel to wheel and from the ground to the highest point.
- Container shipping: TBC, dependant on dimensions (if it will fit in a container)
- RoRo Shipping: TBC, any size but dependant on dimensions (based on cubic metre size of boat)
- Government fees:
- Customs & Quarantine Attendance charges: $410
- GST: 10% (Calculated on the total cost of acquiring the vehicle at the time it arrives in Australia converted to AU$ (plus govt. fees & charges)
- Duty: 5% (Only applies to boats NOT manufactured in the USA)
- Port to Port Transit Insurance: $375
- US Transport - We can arrange collection of your boat in California etc. using our personnel and can get you a quote if you provide uswith the collection Location and Zip Code.
- Australian Transport - We only use specialist Australian boat transporters and are able to deliver your vehicle almost anywhere in Australia. If you would like a quote just provide us with the delivery Location and Post Code.
- Transport to Geezers: $220 (if you are unable to collect your vehicle from Customs in Brisbane or are having us modify the trailer for you and would like to collect it from Geezers on the Gold Coast, we can collect your vehicle from customs and transport it to our premises)
- We are able to assist with trailer modification, roadworthy & registration of your vehicle on arrival at our workshop.
There is no restriction as to models we are aware of so you can confidently purchase any vehicle your heart desires.
- We are more than happy to guide you through every step of the process. Contact us today.
- Department of Infrastructure and Transport:http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/
- Australian Customs and Border Protection Service:http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4371.asp
- Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service:http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/import/vehicles-machinery/motor-vehicles
- State and Road Registration Authorities: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/contact_us/useful.aspx#registering