PRE 1989 Vehicles
Before you purchase your vehicle you need to be aware that you will need to apply to the Federal Government for approval to import your vehicle and therefore must complete an application; once submitted this process usually takes approximately 3 to 4 weeks.
Generally you CANNOT import modified vehicles into Australia. This includes CUSTOM, MODIFIED, REPLICA, CLONE or TRIBUTE vehicles.
You can register and drive a LHD (Left Hand Drive) vehicle in any state in Australia providing it is 30 years or older, vehicles manufactured before 1989 but less than 30 years old will have to be converted to RHD (Right Hand Drive) to be able to be registered.
You will need to provide the following information with your application:
- Copy of the Bill Of Sale (invoice)
- Picture of the vehicle
- Modification statement: a statement as to whether the vehicle has been modified and a list of any mods.
- Proof of identity (if this is your first import)
- *Applications can be made online at: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/application_forms.aspx#io1
- Research, Research, Research
- Make sure the seller has the original Certificate of Title for the vehicle
- Purchase your vehicle in the US
- Complete and return Geezers paperwork and required documents
- Complete and submit the Vehicle Import Application
- Leave the rest to us
- Allow approximately 6 to 8 weeks from the time the vehicle arrives at our US depot until the time it has cleared customs in Brisbane.
Shipping LA to Brisbane:
- Cars: $3,500
- Small Pick Ups etc: $4,000
- Large Pick Ups etc: $6,000
- Import Application: $50
- Customs & Quarantine Attendance charges: $410
- GST: 10% (Calculated on the total cost of acquiring the vehicle at the time it arrives in Australia converted to AU$ (plus govt. fees & charges)
- Duty: 5% (Only applies to vehicles NOT manufactured in the USA and LESS THAN 30 years old)
- Port to Port Transit Insurance: $375
- US Transport - We only use the most reputable domestic US vehicle transporters available and are able to collect the vehicle almost anywhere in the USA. If you would like a quote just provide us with the collection Location and Zip Code.
- Australian Transport - We only use specialist Australian vehicle transporters and are able to deliver your vehicle almost anywhere in Australia. If you would like a quote just provide us with the delivery Location and Post Code.
- Transport to Geezers - $220 (if you are unable to collect your vehicle from Customs in Brisbane and would like to collect it from Geezers on the Gold Coast, we can collect your vehicle from customs and transport it to our premises)
- QLD customers only: We are able to assist with compliance, roadworthy & registration of your vehicle on arrival at our workshop.
There is no restriction as to models(providing they are not modified), so you can confidently purchase any vehicle your heart desires.
- We are more than happy to guide you through every step of the process. Contact us today.
- Department of Infrastructure and Transport: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/
- Australian Customs and Border Protection Service: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4371.asp
- Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service: http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/import/vehicles-machinery/motor-vehicles
- State and Road Registration Authorities: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/contact_us/useful.aspx#registering